Where to change pads
This lesson helps students identify appropriate places to change their pads.
Foundation Knowledge for this lesson includes differentiation of male and female bodies; awareness of age and body differences between babies, children, adolescents, and adults; receptive identification of vagina; public and private body parts; receptive identification of sanitary pads, bin, toilet, and underpants; receptive identification of blood.
- Customise: take photos of the places your student can change pads at home, school, work, or other places they regularly visit. Create their own lesson with these images.
- Community visits: go to places in the community and locate suitable toilets for where you would change a pad if you needed to while out.
- Sorting: places you can and can't change pads e.g. bathroom, toilet vs loungeroom, bedroom
- Flipsides: what should you do if there are no toilets with sanitary bins? What if you change pads in an inappropriate place?
- Social stories: Create a story about appropriate places to change pads. You could include privacy behaviours such as shutting the door, cleaning up any mess, and correct disposal of soiled pads.
- Who to talk to about periods? Identify trusted people to go to if support is needed.