Where can you talk about masturbation?
This lesson aims to the locate places where a student/child/client is safe and private to be to talk about masturbation and how to maintain privacy for these conversations.
Foundation Knowledge includes awareness of public and private places, behaviours, and body parts.
- Customising images: take photos of places familiar to the student and create their own lesson on this topic.
- Sorting: Sort appropriate and inappropriate places.
- Flipsides: What happens if you talk about masturbation in public? How do other people feel if you talk about masturbation in public? How do others react if you talk about masturbation in public?
- Consequences: how do you feel when you talk about masturbation in private?
- Scenarios: What would happen if… stories e.g. what would happen if you asked your mum a question about masturbation and your little sister walked into the room? What would you do if someone talked to you about masturbation when you are in class?
- Teaching opportunities: positively reinforce talking about private things in a private space using consistent language; if masturbation is talked about in a public place give a reminder that this is a private conversation to have in a private space and arrange a time in the near future to answer any questions with an appropriate trusted adult.
- Social stories: include what to do when you have a question about masturbation and how to arrange circumstances where a question could be asked appropriately.