Keeping your body clean during periods
This lesson supports the development of daily living skills that support good hygiene which is essential for health and social development opportunities.
Foundation Knowledge for this lesson includes differentiation of male and female bodies; awareness of body parts; understanding of private and public behaviours and body parts.
- Sorting: clean vs dirty
- Sequencing: create specific visual sequences for each part of the keeping clean process e.g. for showering, for changing into clean clothes, for washing hands, for changing underwear, etc.
- Social stories: incorporate sequences and consequences.
- Role play: act out sequences or social stories.
- Consequences: how do you feel when your body is clean? how do others react to you when you are clean?
- Flipsides: what happens if you don’t keep your body clean during a period? How do other people react to you when you are not clean?
- Clean spaces: generalise to tidying up a space when having a period, make sure your student knows what to do with soiled clothing, used pads, dirty towels, etc.