Understanding gender identity
This lesson supports development and awareness of gender identity and choices individuals have around their gender identity. The aim is for the visual cues to be used to support conversations and discussions around this broad topic.
Foundation Knowledge includes awareness of gender differences such boy and girl, man and woman.
- Sorting: Collecting photos or magazine images and organising into gender groups. Younger concrete thinkers may focus on external characteristics e.g. short hair means male, long hair means female.
- Developing self-awareness: use social stories or story-telling about the self to discuss gender identity.
- Exploring gender roles in society
- Exploring cultural factors that inform gender identity
- Exploring issues and the history of gender equality in modern society
- Understanding differences between gender identity and sexual identity.
- Exploring how physical changes influence gender identity