Disposing of pads properly
This lesson aims to teach the sequence of behaviours for appropriate disposal of pads and replacing with fresh ones. Guidance around decision-making of timing of changes, and whether to change pads and soiled underwear is included.
Foundation Knowledge for this lesson includes differentiation of male and female bodies; awareness of age and body differences between babies, children, adolescents, and adults; receptive identification of vagina; public and private body parts; receptive identification of sanitary pads, bin, toilet, and underpants; receptive identification of blood.
- Teach through chaining: put in place selected images e.g. first two or last two pictures in the sequence; mix up picture order and resequence; take away one or two key images and put them in the correct order
- Role modelling: follow through with sequence with a trusted adult with a real-life example or wearing pants over trousers and adding food dye to clean pads to simulate when to change pads.
- Visual Cues: print screen and place in the bathroom to provide visual support.
- Consequences: how do you feel when you change your pad properly?
- Flipside: what happens if you don't change your pad? How would other people react if you didn't change your pad?
- Getting help: who can you talk to about changing pads? Who can't you talk to about changing pads?